Saturday, August 20, 2016

What I've Learned So Far

We have been in Spain for just over one month now and have already learned many things. Yesterday I reflected on the first trip we took to Europe.  We spent 17 days in France in 2004 and I remember standing outside a cafe in Vézelay being shy about going in without understanding how it all worked. Do we just sit?  Do we wait to be seated?  How do we order?  We quickly recognized that we would starve if we allowed our uncertainties to hold us back.  

We have come a long way since that moment in Vézelay, but there are still times when uncertainty has control.  Yesterday we went to the weekly market in Pitres.  Each village has a market day and on that day vendors come and set up booths of shoes, or clothes, or housewares.  And there are produce stands and trucks selling chickens and churros, or cheeses and meats.  We bought spelt bread from a man with numerous healthy-looking loaves, then we purchased peaches and pears from a produce man.  We wandered to a second produce stand to buy some peppers so that Sam could make his special Chili Rellenos.   There were many women calling out requests and frowning at the offerings until the produce woman put together just what they wanted.  I stood next to the pile of peppers waiting my turn.  I waited, and waited, as satisfied customers left and others arrived and were served. The produce woman looked my way several times but then was off helping another woman.  It was hot and I waited beyond my usual tolerance before finally giving up and walking away.  I later learned from a friend that I should have picked up a pepper and that would have brought the woman over to help me.  I was hesitant to touch anything because I have been scolded for that in other settings.  But now I know, at least until I develop some language skills, that I need to be a bit more demonstrative if I want to get served at the market.

I have learned some other things this past week:

  • Geckos are good to have in the house; they eat bugs and some consider them a symbol of good luck.  
  • Gecko poo looks like rat poo.  
  • Gecko poo is better than rat poo.
  • Gecko poo on the bed probably fell from the ceiling because Geckos don't get on the bed.
  • It will take me awhile to get used to having Geckos in the house.


Our Gecko

Gecko Poo

Other things I have learned:

  • IKEA is a wonderland
  • IKEA is overwhelming
  • IKEA in Spanish is even more overwhelming
  • IKEA packaging is brilliant
  • Sam is good at assembling IKEA furniture




And we have learned the pleasure of getting an unexpected phone call from a neighbor at noon inviting us to a party that same day at 2:30.  We got cleaned up, walked over with a bottle of wine, and spent the next 4 hours laughing and talking with a delightful group of British and Spanish neighbors of varying ages.  We are blessed to have kind neighbors who live life with a gentle ease.

The days are quite warm and I am challenged by a lack of physical energy.  Sam thinks it is the adjustment to living at 4500 feet elevation and not yet sleeping well.  I need to be patient with the many adjustments.  In the meantime I am focusing on the simple gifts of this life we have chosen.


2 comments:

  1. Laura: It is normal to not have energy, you have to "acclimatize" yourself to the altitude and to all other factors of a different land...I am sure that you will do extremely well just your attitude and joy of life will do the trick!! Love,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carlo for your kind and encouraging words. ❤️

      Delete