Monday, November 14, 2016

Spanish Comfort for American Wounds (If you are happy about the election you can skip this week's post)

This has been a challenging week and the wounds caused by the election result are deep. Our hearts ache for the future of the U.S. and for our children as they look ahead with multiple concerns, and very little hope.  

I have thought back to 9/11 and the way I felt that day. From the moment I heard what had happened, I was stunned.  My foundation had been shaken and I was disoriented; how did this happen?  

But after 9/11 the world mourned with the U.S. and, for a brief period of time, it was as if the United States was truly united.  People looked at each other and recognized sameness; we were all Americans, and we had been attacked.

After waking up Wednesday morning and learning the news, I was stunned; my foundation was shaken and I was disoriented.  How did this happen?  

But this felt worse than 9/11; this was not something done to us, we had done this to ourselves. The world was not mourning with us, but instead they were shaking their heads wondering how this could have happened. And in the hours and days that have followed, rather than unity, we have watched as hateful incident after hateful incident has divided our country even more decisively. There is a collective angst that is agonizing. 

And here on the mountain in Southern Spain we feel a bit of something like "survivor guilt."  While we are relieved to have already made the move rather than being among those wishing or hoping to get out of a country run by Drumpf, we feel guilty that we are not close to our kids and friends to help work through this tragedy together. We make regular financial contributions to organizations that provide healthcare to women, and to environmental causes, etc., but we recognize the privilege that allows us to sit here and make on-line contributions, while others are "back home" on the streets and in neighborhoods making tangible contributions to the lives of those who are frightened and hurting.

And so this week we have accepted the kindness of our friends and neighbors; gifts of distraction and comfort.

On Tuesday, while the election was happening, our friends from Spanish Highs Mountain Guides took us on a magnificent hike in the Cumbres Verdes area of the Sierra Nevada Natural Park. It was a cool, crisp day and we hiked through forests and over rocky out-croppings and we savoured the views, and the air, and the company. The election seemed very far away.

Cumbres Verdes

Wednesday morning Manuel arrived soon after we read the election results.  He greeted us both with a big hug and when I burst into tears he shook his head and said that everyone in the village was also stunned by the news. For the next two days he came and worked, but treated us a bit like you treat someone who has just had a death in the family.  On Friday Manuel invited us to go hiking with him over the weekend.  We accepted this kind offer and Sunday morning he picked us up and drove us further up the mountain.  We hiked to the top of a 3090 meter (10,137 ft) peak.  The entire hike was beautiful and in the 6 hours that we were out, we did not see another human.  The peacefulness and beauty were just what we needed, and the effort demanded our attention and left us exhausted. 

On The Way Up

Magnificent Views

On the way back down Manuel led us to a hilltop that had a natural rock boundary and inside of the boulders there were numerous stone shelters that were built during the Spanish Civil War.  He told us of the gunfights that took place in the mountains where Nationalists were high in the Sierras firing their machine guns at the Republican resistance who used these shelters. It was a historic reminder that was powerful and especially poignant.

Spanish Civil War Shelter

Another Civil War Shelter


And finally we were blessed with a visit from a woman I met on the Camino. Lin and I met the first night and then ran into each other from time to time during the first 3 weeks that I walked.  We have stayed in touch during this past year and on Friday she came here for lunch.  Lin is from Canada, but she is on an extended trip to - to wherever she ends up! We convinced her to stay for a few days and it was truly a blessing to have another person here at home. We welcomed the chance to show her around the area and her gentle spirit helped to calm ours.

With Lin At The Old Mill


The beauty that surrounds us, and the kindness of so many is like a salve for raw wounds.  We are fortunate, and for that we are truly grateful.

Sunrise

10 comments:

  1. It is always a joy to read your blog. Your concern is our concern. last Tuesday night we were also stunned, I saw Shirley crying..... We are happy for you and for your pristine and joyful life, Sam weekly phone call makes me feel close to you both...Grazie for keeping in touch.. Love, Carlo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Carlo, thank you. Hugs to you and Shirley.

      Delete
  2. We need the peacefulness of your pictures and words, so don't feel badly about escaping. They remind me that there is more to life than the hate and discord that is this country (for now). I still have hope, but yes, the "bright side of things" is becoming increasingly dim. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm glad to share the peacefulness with others. (Who are you though?)

      Delete
  3. Just reading your blog (this one) makes me want to cry, I haven't up to now. I am envious of your life right now...the peace and oneness with nature. Just this evening a young Hispanic man came to our door asking if we'd rent out our RV. It was pouring rain outside and I had to tell him no. I wanted to ask if his name was Jesus...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs. Sounds like you might be ready to take a long, reflective walk 😊

      Delete
  4. Beautiful, Laura. Keep walking the land and enjoying such distraction as that is the energy of life that we need right now. Any way we can all stay centered and still love in the midst of hate can only help the whole earth. Easier said than done at these sad and confusing times. My only hope is that something very big, in a good way, will come of all this destruction that was elected. President Obama has been such a guiding light on how to move forward. Always the most upstanding person in the room. We still have him and I don't think that he is going to hide under a bushel! Please, no guilt on your part. I think of you and Sam as very inspired as you followed your inner guide. Hugs to you both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanne, thank you. Each day the news gets more bizarre, but your words inspire hope. Yes, I hope Obama gets some irreversible stuff done before he leaves. Hugs to you and Robert.

      Delete
  5. Such a wonderful blog, Laura, and I really enjoyed this post. I'm a close friend of Robert Wilkinson, The Solitary Walker, and I"ve seen your comments from time to time on his site. Tonight, Robert highlighted your blog on Facebook, so I thought I would chime in. I have a blog by the name of "Transit Notes" (www.transit-notes.blogspot.com), which is devoted to things other than politics — hiking, photography, poetry, ancient wisdom, etc. — and, just recently, I"ve started another blog called "Never My President" (www.never-my-president.blogspot.com), which I will be using to resist the Trump presidency in all of its unfortunate aspects. Stop in in you get the chance. During the meantime, you have me longing to be in Spain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you George for stopping by and for your comments. I will check out your blogs.

      Delete