Sunday, January 22, 2017

Hope

I was going to blog about grocery shopping in Spain, but that story can wait.

This has been a dark week in American and World history. On Friday as the new president was inaugurated, I had frequent bouts of tears punctuated by nausea. I had continued to hold out hope that justice would be served and that he would be stopped. Alas. 

But yesterday I was full of pride as I watched millions of women and men peacefully march for equality, human rights and true justice, throughout the world. I am so proud of the many friends and family members, including my daughter, her partner, my son and daughter-in-law, my niece and my cousins, young and old, who marched in Washington D.C., Seattle, Portland, Sacramento, Boston, Philadelphia, Salem, Newark and numerous other cities. 

My friend Lindy wore the names of those who wanted to march but were not able, taped to her jacket. I requested that she wear my name, and also my mom's name. Because those who marched were representing all women, and we needed to be a part of that.

Lindy's jacket with my name and mom's name


Lindy and friends in D.C.

Heather with her sign in rainy Portland where they anticipated 30,000 and had 100,000 show up!

My daughter-in-law Lisa had her sign ready in Seattle

My niece April marched in D.C.


The link below shows photos of marches around the United States and around the world. The photos tell the story, and it is a beautiful story for anyone who cares about the future of mankind and the planet we occupy.




3 comments:

  1. It was amazing Laura, you would have loved it and been in the middle of things, wearing one of the crazy pink pussy hats. It was a beautiful sunny day in Seattle, and 130,000 plus of us marched in unity and love. I had to use a walker because my dang knee is still bad, and I swear people would have carried me if need be. For the first time since all this mess, I feel real hope. Don't loose faith girl, we are gonna fight tooth and nail for what is right! XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy! I am so proud of you (but sorry about your knee.) But yay for being there! Seeing all the photos gave me such hope. Times are changing, and the future was on display yesterday. You rock! ❤️

      Delete
  2. Laura, finally getting to your posts - I was one of 250,000+ in Chicago and it was, to say the least, AMAZING! For that day it took me right out of my deep deep sadness that I have been carrying around to a place of hope. I do believe that good will win over evil even if at the moment it does not look that way. I have hope in humanity and in the good in people. I just loved, too, how many international cities marched as well! Heart warming. DON'T MESS WITH WOMEN - ha ha. So many men and children too. This country is waking up like never before. Just keep living your good life and bring beautiful photos our way - so glad that you are in that setting and far far away from this present mess. Hugs to you and Sam!

    ReplyDelete